Bloemhof is one of the
smaller plantations on the island. It has been bought
and sold frequently throughout the centuries, but for
almost a hundred years it has been in the hands of one
Curaçao family. In 1919 Emma Maduro-Lopez Penha
bought Landhuis Bloemhof and its seven acres of ground.
The house was used as a family retreat and vacation home.
The archives of the property
have been well preserved and show that it was first
sold in 1735, thus making the core of the building at
least 270 years old. (The date of the original construction
is unknown.) Subsequent purchase deeds and inventory
lists tell us more about its history and that of Curaçao.
a small plantation, Bloemhof was never of much importance
in terms of agriculture or the production of food crops.
Early on, the ‘crop’ of the plantation was
water. With the use of two dams, several wells and bàkis
(cisterns), it was easy to collect and hold enough water
to sell in Willemstad to the townspeople.
In the last 50 years things changed
and Bloemhof became a meeting place especially for those
who love art, literature, theater and culture in its
broadest sense. In 2001, the family renovated and restored
the property, taking great care to maintain its old
rustic charm. Only the bare minimum was changed or altered
in this mayor fix-up. Opened in March 2002 as a homage
to the late May and Max Henriquez, Bloemhof now functions
according to a new concept – a center for the
arts, creativity, and history – where activities
focus on the personal development and well being of
creative individuals of all ages.
We welcome visitors and students
at Landhuis Bloemhof, a historical setting which houses
a gallery, a library, a workshop area, a sculpture garden
and a permanent exhibition in the Studio of May Henriquez.
Landhuis Bloemhof is open
Tuesday thru Saturday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
and by appointment.
Feel free to call ahead (737-5775)
for details on shows, special events
US$ 5,- per person